top of page
  • BC Law

How to do a legal Name Change In Mississippi?

In Mississippi when a person get married or divorce a name change is simple and straight forward process. However, in other situations the a court order is needed to legally change your name. In Mississippi the Petition for a name change shall be filed in the Chancery Court of the County of residence of the person seeking the name change. Upon filing the petition, Mississippi Department of Health, Division of Vital Statistics must be given notice of the petition for name change and date of hearing.

Mississippi law provides that you can't change your name to allude law enforcement nor to avoid a crime, debt, child support obligation, spousal support obligation. If the court grants your name change petition, you'll receive a court order making it legal and a certified copy of the order will be forward to the Department of Health to reissue a new birth certificate reflecting the new name.

4 views0 comments
bottom of page